Monday, January 10, 2011

Who's coming for dinner?

One of the things I hate most about living on my own is cooking for myself. I enjoy cooking, and I'm quite a good cook (endorsements can be provided by family and former roommates). However, I hate cooking for myself. I don't see the point of going through all the preparation of cooking for just one person. I could live on grilled cheese sandwiches and soup if I had to. At most, I might cook one meal a week, eat it for several nights, and then spend the rest of the week living on quick and easy meals.

A couple events will hopefully help me change these bad habits. The first is that a coworker has moved into an apartment down the hall from me. She also lives on her own. We've decided that we're going to try and cook meals for one another. We did this a couple times before Christmas. It was nice to have someone to cook for, and the company was also enjoyable. Last night marked the first shared meal of the New Year.

The other event is the introduction of a CrockPot into my small supply of kitchen appliances. My brother asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and that's what I asked for. Yes, I'm getting old. My two big Christmas gifts were appliances. But I digress... I used my CrockPot for the first time yesterday to make sweet-n-sour pork. It was delicious. My friend and I both enjoyed a healthy serving, and I have 3 meals now in the freezer. With the CrockPot, I can prep the night before, dump everything into it in the morning, and when I get home I have a lovely cooked meal. I think I'm in love.

1 comment:

  1. Crockpots are AMAZING for the busy person! And on top of that produce some very yummy results!

    The idea with your co-worker sounds great! It's nice to cook for someone else every now and again!

    ReplyDelete