Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's the time, not the money

So, this week got off to a bit of a rocky start.

Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day. I was driving from one school to the next, listening to some tunes. There was nothing else on the road around me. Out of nowhere, I heard a rather loud pop and saw a line running across the windshield in front of my eyes.

At first I wasn't sure what had happened. I thought something had perhaps come out of nowhere and hit my windshield. However, upon closer inspection, the site where the crack started appears to be the spot where I had a chip repaired about two years ago. I'm assuming the repair failed, and with the nasty weather we had on Sunday, switching from cold to mild with freezing rain, back to cold, and then warming again yesterday with the sun, the windshield suffered as a result.

Thankfully, I have comprehensive coverage on my vehicle, which means this won't cost me any more than my deductible at most. Another option is the fact that Speedy, which repaired the windshield two years ago, supposedly offers a lifetime warranty on the repair. I'm going to check into this option first and see where it takes me. Either way, it's not a huge expense.

The time involved, however, is what annoys me. Wasting time contacting Speedy, the insurance company. Losing the use of my vehicle while the windshield is being replaced. I still haven't gotten all the work done from when my rear windshield was broken out in October. I still don't know how that happened. I'm still finding glass inside my car. For 5 days in late October/early November, I was relying on others to bring me to work, and home again in the afternoon. I don't relish the idea of giving up my car again to have the repair finished. So, between the repair from October, and the installation of a new windshield, it appears I'll be without a vehicle for several days again this spring.

I plan to wait until they've stopped covering the roads with gravel (that's what they use here in the middle of nowhere instead of salt). At this point it looks as though I might be without my car for Easter. I don't want to replace the windshield, only to have it covered in chips by the time May rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment