Friday, February 25, 2011

Don't burst my bubble!

Okay. I admit it. I have problems with people invading my personal space. If I'm in a large crowd of people, I'm prone to panic attacks. This is a result of some things that happened when I was a teen, and it's something that I'm currently dealing with.

However, line-ups at cash registers are a particular pet-peeve of mine. I don't want someone standing so close to me, I can feel them breathing down my neck. I don't want someone walking on the back of my heels as I move forward in a line. I especially don't want someone knocking me with their shopping cart, basket, or large purse.

This happens to me repeatedly. I've had bruises from elderly women ramming me with their shopping carts. One lady hit me with the cart on the hip, and when I stepped so the cart was no longer touching me, she rammed me with the cart again. I usually give people a dirty look when these things occur. I make sure I give the person in front of me plenty of room. I would hope others would afford me the same courtesy. Apparently, I ask too much.

Today, as I was waiting at the counter of a local take-out, minding my own business, I felt someone hip-check me. I thought it was a friend, playing around with me. I just rolled my eyes and turned to see who it was. I was quite surprised to see a grey-haired 75 year old woman standing next to me. Never mind the fact there was a good 8 feet of counter to my right. She felt the need to forcibly move me to the side. I took another step to my left, and she followed. Seriously, I felt like hip-checking this little old lady back. I'd have knocked her to the ground.

I like my personal space. I don't want strangers invading it. I don't want people I don't know in close proximity when there is absolutely no reason for them to be. Under certain circumstances, I understand there is no other choice. I just grit my teeth and deal with it. However, one of these days, someone is going to invade my personal space in public, and I'm going to lose it. I'm going to take their shopping cart and shove it back towards them, or knock their purse off their shoulder so it's no longer hitting me in the side of the head (I'm short). Have some consideration for those of us who don't want to get up close and personal with the general public.

No comments:

Post a Comment