Sunday, March 6, 2011

Emotion and Music

I will admit that I have the tendency to be overly emotional at times. Commercials, books, movies and television shows all have the power to make me cry. Last year, during the Olympics, the commercial Tim Hortons was running brought me to tears every time.

However, there is something about music that speaks to me, and it's not necessarily the lyrics. One piece of music that brings me to tears each time I listen is instrumental.

There is something about the beauty of Clair de Lune that touches something inside me. I could listen to it on repeat, for hours on end, and remain amazed by the simplicity and the beauty of this composition.

Nessun Dorma is another piece that brings me to tears. I haven't a clue what the lyrics mean, but the crescendo toward the end of the aria fill my heart with emotion and my eyes with tears.

Music of the Night from Phantom of the Opera has fascinated me since the first time I heard it. I was 10, and PBS was showing a performance of Michael Crawford during one of their pledge drives. I heard the song, and immediately ran to my piano to pick out the melody. I've seen the show twice - in London and Toronto. Each time I am moved to tears by the end of the song. I listened to it again tonight, and sure enough, by the line "You alone can make my song take flight
Help me make the music of the night", there were tears rolling down my cheeks.

Am I the only one? Does this happen to other people?


No comments:

Post a Comment