Monday, February 28, 2011

For Crosby and Sidney

Stories like this break my heart.

I just don't understand how anyone could treat an animal in such a manner.

The animals in my family have always quickly become family members. My childhood dog had the propensity to be something of a pest at times, and sometimes I wished he would leave me alone, but I still loved him. It will be 10 years this March since he left us, and it still upsets me to think about the fact I wasn't there to say goodbye.

My parents now have two dogs - both of whom were rescued from the city animal shelter. Both dogs look as though they were well taken care of. Both had collars, but no tags. Yet, no one called to claim them. Perhaps their "owners" just set them free. Perhaps they ran away and no one cared enough to look for them. Either way, they now live in the lap of luxury. They have a safe, warm home, humans who take them for walks and to the dog park, treats, toys, and people who love them and treasure them. And they will be loved and treasured until well after they are no longer with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment